Saturday, 20 September 2014
Why Visit London in Winter
London, the capital of England. London is busy almost all year round with people flocking from all over the world to explore this historical capital. Many come during the summer, though the English weather is unpredictable all year round but most travellers hope to enjoy the summer sun that we are graced with a few weeks of the year.
So with so many people visiting during the summer, why should you visit in winter?
1. Hotels are expensive at the best of time, but you are more likely to get a cheaper room during winter.
2. Access to all the top tourist attractions is much quicker, with very short queues. We visited late November and didn't have to queue at all for the London eye
3. The underground is less crowded. At 7-9am it is always busy on the underground with local people making the commute to work, however, in summer it is likely that even after 9am it will be very crowded. In winter it is much less busy after 9am making a more comfortable journey.
4. The atmosphere is amazing. Looking over at the Tower Bridge through the mist of a cool winters day is just so beautiful. Oxford Street is a buzz of locals doing their Christmas shopping in November, they even spray fake foam from the tops of the buildings. Shops stay open until 11pm making it so much easier to take your time and enjoy dodging in and out of the stores.
5. Best time to see Buckingham Palace, without too many people crowding around the gates.
6. It's romantic. Grab a hot chocolate/tea/coffee and take a stroll with your partner through Hyde Park.
There are but a few of the reasons why you should break the mould and visit London during winter. It is a beautiful city during every season, but there is something magical about this city in winter.